A few notes on using this blog...Comments submitted to this blog will be reviewed before being published. Please use appropriate language. Also, do not include any personal information (last name, email address, etc.). Comments will not be published if they contain inappropriate content or personal information.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Book Reviews from BJH Students


Bulldog
Book Reviews
(2007)
Brooklyn Junior High students share what they think about the books they are reading.





40 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Example Review)

Woodsong

Reviewed by Ms. Charlton

Paulsen, Gary. Woodsong. New York: Bradbury Press, 1990.

It is the roughest, coldest race on earth. It is the Iditarod. Award winning author, Gary Paulsen tells the story of his 1,180-mile dogsled race across Alaska in Woodsong. Read all about nature in Alaska, and surviving the harsh cold of Alaska on this journey with Gary Paulsen. He is not only trying to win this race, but survive with the help of his dogsled team and one very special dog who saved Gary’s life. BJH students who like adventure and stories about surviving in the wild will like this book. 4 stars.

Anonymous said...

Creek, Sharon. Love That Dog. New York: Scholastic Inc, 2001.

Reviewed by Gao Joua

“I don’t want to because boys don’t write poetry! Girls do.” A boy name Jack thinks that writing poetry is a girl thing. Jack’s opinion is that writing poetry is stupid and dumb because only girls do that. His assignment is to write a poem about anything in the world. This story takes place in room 105- Miss Stretchberry’s classroom mostly. Jack was told that it’s was his assignment to write a poem about anything in the world. Finally he decides to write about his dog. After thinking about his old opinion he thinks that he is wrong now. He likes to write poetry and he thinks that it’s interesting. I think that BJH students should read this book because when you hate something you should give it a try because in the end you might end up liking it. Maybe you see it going on and you think that it’s stupid or dumb but you should give it a try and then see if you like it or not. If you don’t like it you cant force yourself to do something that you don’t want to do. Sometimes people’s opinions are wrong. I would give this book a rating 5 out of 5 stars.

Anonymous said...

Sacher, Louis. Yearling. New York: Yearling, Inc, 1998.

Reviewed by Peter

Would you like to dig holes five feet deep and five feet wide all day? Well here is a young boy named Stanley Yelnats who did. This book is called Holes, by Louis Sacher. This book is about a young boy named Stanley Yelnats who got framed for a crime he didn’t do. One day he was walking along the side of the road and boom! A pair of sneakers fell from the sky and landed in his arms. It turns out the pair of sneakers were Clive Livingston’s pair of sneakers that he donated to and orphan house. Later on he is in court and has a choice to go to jail or go to Camp Green Lake. Of course he chose camp over jail. Over in Camp Green Lake he digs holes five feet wide and five feet deep all day. He meets his roommates named Zero, Armpit, and Zigzag. Later he follows Zero after he runs away. Will they come back to camp? That’s for me to know and for you to find out. I recommend this book to all BJH students because this book can teach you a lesson and that lesson is to be truthful because what goes around comes around. I rate this book 4 stars.

Anonymous said...

McDaniel, Lurlene. How Do I Love Thee: Three Stories. New York: United States and Canada, 2001.

Reviewed by: Kalia

When the boy saw that mysterious girl dancing under the moonlight in the tall grass, he couldn’t help but watch her. He has never seen her before, but he would always stand behind a tree to watch her, at around 1:00 am. She felt a presence of someone else watching her; she turned around and saw someone spying on her behind the tree. It was him. He quickly tried to hide so she wouldn’t see him, but it was already too late. She walked over to the tree that she saw someone at, and they began to talk. That mysterious girls name is Shayla, and that boy hiding behind a tree’s name is Brett. They became good friends. They told each other everything, but Shayla was hiding one thing from Brett. They started seeing each other more and more. Going on dates to the movies or going out to eat. Brett thought one weird thing is, every single date they had went on, was at night. That made him curious and he wanted to know why, but he didn’t ask. I liked this story because everyone has relationships and secrets. At the end of the book, Shayla reveals her secret to Brett and is very shocking! I would rate this book a five out of five.

Anonymous said...

Lewis, C.S. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. China: Harper trophy, 2000.

Reviewed By: Lashia

“She opened the wardrobe, as she kept walking back to feel the stiff wood (back) of the wardrobe all she could feel was poking needles from a pine tree, cold crunching snow beneath her feet, and above her was a grey and white sky”. At this moment she had known she wasn’t at home anymore or even in her neighborhood, she didn’t know what to think”. A family of four, Lucy, Susan, Edwin, and Peter, arrive at a house, (more like a mansion) they explore a place called Narnia beneath the coats in the wardrobe, can they save Narnia from the White Witch? Will it ever be spring in Narnia? Will it ever be Christmas? Find out, in The Chronicles of Narnia the Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I really think that other Brooklyn Junior High student would enjoy reading this book because this is an adventurous book and full of all kinds of exploration. It is also a book you’re not going to want stop reading. I would give this book a rating four and a half out of five because there are fauns, witches, and dwarfs, creatures I haven’t even heard of before, so it makes the book a lot more fun to read. I hope you enjoy reading The Chronicles of Narnia the Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Anonymous said...

Flake, Sharon. The Skin I’m In. New York: Scholastic Inc, 1998.
Reviewed by: Kentaya

Don’t you dare open this book because if you do you will never forget what happens! Have you ever called a teacher or an adult a bad name? Maleeka did. She said her teacher had a male’s name. If you did you will like this book because that’s what the girl did in The Skin I’m In. I loved the book The Skin I’m In it is one of the best books ever to me. The author is Sharon Flake. Maleeka (ma-leak-a) is the little girl that talks about Miss Saunders. Miss Saunders is her new middle school teacher. I think that Maleeka was very mean when she was talking about Miss Saunders saying that she has a name that a man would use and that she had a big stain on her face (that’s just a birthmark). If she were to say that to me I would get so upset with her because that is a very disrespectful thing to do. I thought the The Skin I’m In was a very good book it really explains the way the characters really feel. If I were to give this a star rating it would be 5 stars out of 5 stars. Because if your a mean person you should read this book and pay attention to this book.

Anonymous said...

Alfonsi, Alice. That’s so Raven: Rescue Me. New York: Disney Press, 2004.

Reviewed by Jamar

What would you do if you disobeyed your parents and asked them if you can go out to dinner and you are only 14 and your date is older than you? The only way you can find out if you read this book! Raven Baxter, A 14 year old girl born and raised in San Francisco. She has to best friends Chelsea Daniels and Eddie Thomas, they known each forever. Also she has a younger sibling named Cory Baxter and she considers him a big pest! It was morning time so it was time for her to get ready for school. When Raven arrived at school she met a boy name Matthew and she liked him and everything as she was considered “love at first sight”. The only problem was he was much older than her, he was 18. Raven went to approach him and she asked him what is he here for and he was there to pick up his little brother and Raven lied and said she was too and she said she was 17 just for a date that they had planned. When Raven got home she found out her parents were going out to dinner at the same place and same time. That’s why I like this book because it excites me to figure out what is going to happened and a question popped in mind because she had to baby sit her little brother while her parents were gone! I think other BJH students will like this book a lot because Raven Baxter also known as Raven Symone is a huge celebrity! That’s why I give this book 5 stars out of 5.

Anonymous said...

Katherine, Paterson. The King’s Equal. New York: Scholastic Inc, 1992.

Reviewed by Christina.


This book is love and romance getting married to a prince. The prince who is becoming the next ruler of the kingdom and the land. Once long ago there was a prince name prince Raphael and there was a poor girl name Rosamund she live with her father. When she first met the prince and the prince first met her they like each other and they were equal like they have same personalities after that the prince went on a long trip when he came back they got married. One thing I like about this book is that Rosamund is a kind girl and respectful she took good care of her father when he was sick, one thing I don’t like is that the prince is greedy and mean. The BJH student should read this book because whoever likes to read about love book and likes to read about relationship, couples, and romance. I would give this a rating 4 out 5 because it’s romantic.

Anonymous said...

Baynes, Pauline. The Chronicles of Narnia the Sliver Chair. New York: Scholastic Inc, 1995.


Reviewed by: Dan


Get the book The Silver Chair. It will make you love to read. Reading this is the best. Why wouldn’t you want to read a book that is so amazing? This book is about a guy who is trying to break the Silver Chair. But he never did until the end of the story. Someone put a spell on the prince and he became a bad prince. This book is just like the movie. I think BJH students should read this book because it is a really interesting book. You love to read books after you get done with this amazing book because the character was a good character and he made the book really amazing. The character played a good play in the book. This book has a lot of animals in the book. I would give this book a rating of 4 stars out of 5 Star because it is a very good book and you will love to read more of these books.

Anonymous said...

Whelan, Gloria. Chu Ju’s House. New York: Scholastic Inc, 2004.


Reviewed By: Yer


Would you run away so your baby sister or brother could stay in your family? Are they special enough to save? It is up to Chu Ju. It’s about Chu Ju, and her mom having a baby and she doesn’t want to loose the baby, if her parents decide to let go of the baby. So she decided to run away. She ran away and her parents were really worried about her. I think that 7th and 8th graders should read this book. I think that it could teach them a lot about China’s law. It is really interesting when I read about that law. I think that they would be shocked too. I like this book, because bet is an educational book. It has made up characters, but the law and what happened to people who wanted another children would have to get ride of the youngest child. They could only have two children. I think that Chu Ju’s House written by Gloria Whelan is very sad. 4 stars.

Anonymous said...

Ferris, Jean. Once Upon a Marigold. New York: Harcourt, 2002.


Review by Pazao

What does the title once upon a Marigold really mean? And why isn’t it Once Upon a Time? This is a story about a 17 year old princess who has a curse, she is able to read other people’s thoughts accept that’s only when she is mad or sad. Then this 17 year old guy who ran away from home to the forest where he was being taken care of by a troll name Edric. Then the 17 year old boy name Christian was offered a job at the kingdom where his friend the cursed princess and also who he likes is living there. The Princess was soon force to marry or gets to know the two suitors who think the princess is plain and not pretty at all. The princesses’ father was the only one who wasn’t so afraid of touching her but, her mother is afraid of touching her, because she doesn’t want the princess to read her mind. I think other BJH students should read this book because this book has fairytales, princess/ prince, king/queens, trolls, fairy, and a curse. It was interesting with all these fairytales descriptive words which it made me create a more picture or image of what’s going on in the story. I would rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars.

Anonymous said...

Vail, Rachel Avi. Nevermind!. New York: Scholastic Inc, 2004.

Reviewed by Prima


Do you and your brother have arguments? Are different? If you do read the book Nevermind!, find out how to get along with your siblings the right way. This book is about a girl named Meg, and a guy named Edward. They are both brother and sister. Both Meg and Edward have totally different personalities. Edward loves the midnight, and Meg loves twelve noon. Meg thinks her whole life is about school and education (which is very good). In the other hand Edward loves to play video games and sports. Even though Edward is 10 minutes older than Meg. They both have a lot of things that are no alike!! I think that some BJH students should read this book because if they don’t really care about there siblings or get along with them really good, then they shouldn’t have to read this book. But if you do have the same similarities as Meg and Edward then you should read this book. I thought this book was pretty good because I know now how it is like having a brother or sister. 3 stars.

Anonymous said...

Calero, Michelle and others. Love Letters and Other Short Stories. New York: Scholastic Inc, 2005

Reviewed by Brittney

Why do you think teens go through problems with their crushes? Do you like books that talk about couples and their relationships? If you do, you should try this book
!
My book is about teenagers who are going through some difficult times in their relationships, like going through problems with asking out their crushes, and other stuff like that. In one story this girl named Carmen likes this guy named Chico but all of a sudden she thought he liked her but then he just starts ignoring her. I do think that most girls in BJH should read this because the stuff in this book is what most girls go through, but boys also go through this stuff too. 4 stars.

Anonymous said...

Chambers, Veronica. Quincenare Means Sweet 15. New York: Scholastic, 2001.
Reviewed by Wendy

No money, no quince, no dress. “No seas tan negative”, Magda said. “This” being the question of my “Sweet 15” party, or Quinceanera . The book is about two girls. There names are Marisol and the other one is Magdalena or Magda. They are best friends and both are turning fifteen. Magda is having a huge party but Marisol’s parents can’t afford a huge party. Marisol is working to afford a sweet 15. Marisol got two jobs that any teenager would get.To make matter worse Magda is ditching Marisol for some rich and new friends. Magda get a new boyfriend. Marisol is talking to a new boy and going on dates with him. See who is the boy that she is going on dates with. Magda and her new friends are getting into trouble, big trouble. See what happens when her parents find out what she is doing. I think that only girls would only like to read this because it is a drama book.Would you read it? I think you should. I rate this book 4 stars because what happen in this book could happen to any body. If you want to learn some Spanish read this book.

Anonymous said...

Myers, Walter Dean. Somewhere in the Darkness. New York: Scholastic 1992

Reviewed by Samiha
How would you feel if a stranger came up to you and said they were your father? Well, Jimmy is 14 years old and he lives in Harlem New York. And he is in a really though world. But when his father Crab shows up, who Jimmy didn’t see for 9 years, things really change for him. Suddenly Crab wants to know who Jimmy is, so they go on a trip to visit Crabs old hunt. During the weird and scary ride, Jimmy learns a lot about his father Crab and himself. And he discovers that things don’t always go good. But you have to read this great book and find out what happens. I think that students at BJH will like this book because it’s exciting and mysterious. That’s why I give this book 5 out of 5.

Anonymous said...

Hotta, Yumi. Hikaru No Go. Tokyo: SHUEISHA Inc, 1998.

Reviewed by Jesse

Hikaru is a “Go” beginner. “Go” is a Japanese board game. Hikaru doesn’t feel like playing, and the spirit named Sai started screaming “why wouldn’t you play go?!” she kept screaming and yelling to Hikaru. Then Silence: NEVER!”, and Sai punches Hikaru to the ground. What is this book about? The book is about named Hikaru that was in his grandfather’s attic, and he tripped over a board, it was a Japanese “Go” board. Then he touched the board. Then a spirit went into his body it was an ancient “Go” player named Sai. Hikaru was a beginner of “Go” his first game against a boy of his age named Akira Toya. Akira Toya was skilled, but with short notice Hikaru won the game against Akira Toya when Hikaru was a beginner of the game. The reason, he won the game is that he got a spirit inside of him helping him. Brooklyn junior high students should read this book because you can learn how to play a popular Japanese board game, and compete in games/tournaments against other skilled “Go” players. Yumi Hotta made 4 volumes of Hikaru No Go. I rate this book 5 star because this book was AWESOME! It was awesome because when Hikaru wins every single game against people that are really skilled. Once I read it I couldn’t stop reading it, I would stay up all night till I’m done with all the volumes of the book.

Anonymous said...

Sachar, Louis. HOLES. New York: Yearling, 1998

Reviewed by Robert

Yes it’s about holes but necessarily it’s about digging holes, also it includes a boy named Stanley Yelnats. This book is about a boy named Stanley Yelnats aka caveman his family is poor and Stanley got caught accidentally stealing shoes, and gets sent to a camp named camp green lake for something he didn’t know, Intel he meets a boy named zero aka Hector Zerony, who is the person who stole the shoes. Instead of Stanley being enemies they became best friends. Zero didn’t know any thing about life because he didn’t go to school because he lived on the streets. After they became friends at camp they ran away and climbed a mountain called Gods thumb. Because they couldn’t back to camp or they would get in very, very, very much trouble so they went out looking for the treasure that Kate Barlow (outlaw) buried, and after they found it hector and Stanley were rich and Stanley wasn’t poor and hector found his mom and finally went to school for the first time. I really like this book but it’s not all perfect, so think before read this book. I think other people should read this because it’s a good adventure book. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Anonymous said...

Lewis, C.S. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. New York: Scholastic Inc, 1978.

Reviewed by Anthony


The king of Narnia is dead! The witch queen has killed the king of Narnia, Aslan. How did Aslan came back from the dead? The author of this book is C.S Lewis and the title is The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. This book is about stopping the witch queen taking over Narnia. Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy are the only one that can stop the queen. Edmund, Peter, Susan, and Lucy were playing hide and seek and Lucy was hiding in the wardrobe. Lucy kept moving back and she fell down. Then she saw a world of talking animals. One day Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy were running away from the professor, and they hid in the wardrobe. That was when they all saw the world of Narnia. I think BJH students should read this book if they like interesting parts and there is actions books. I would give this book 4 star out of 5.

Anonymous said...

Philbrick, Rodman. Freak The Mighty. New York: Scholastic Inc, 2000.

Reviewed by: David

“FREAK THE MIGHTY FREAK THE MIGHTY!” Imagine a boy the size of a 7 foot ogre, and a boy the size of a mini dwarf yelling that with each other with out fighting! Wooooo yes it is amazing! This book is about a boy named Kevin. With a nick name ,named freak (Or that’s what people call him) who is about 12 years old But has a deadly daises that makes it hard for him to grow, and his best friend Max (Maxwell), who grows like crazy when he is mad, he is 13 years old but is 7 times bigger then Freak. Max doesn’t have a brain or thinks he doesn’t, but when freak and Max are together, Max and Freak are Freak the mighty! Kevin made that name up. Freak has a wild imagination and all ways wanted to be a knight, and when Freak and Max go on mini adventures, and act like they are the nights of the round table! Though freak has an evil father, and his nick name is “Killer Kane.” His father went to jail for doing something bad .Everyone fears him. Max and Freak have the most amazing time in this summer, and are in the craziest situations. That is why I would rate this book 4 out of 5 because this book has many turns. I highly recommend this book to most Brooklyn Jr. students!

Anonymous said...

Sachar, Louis. Holes. New York: Yearling, 1998

Reviewed by Feroze

A 14 year old boy gets hit by a pair of flying shoes. This book is called “Holes” by Louis Sachar. This book is about a boy named Stanley Yelnats and his story. One day, he was walking home from school, but when he was walking under a skyway bridge, a pair of shoes fell from the bridge and hit him in the head. Now supposedly, the shoes were stolen and so Stanley was arrested. After this happened, it was bad for Stanley. Not only he was going to jail or Camp Green Lake, he was accused for something that he didn’t do. Finally, he chooses to go to Camp Green Lake. When he arrived at camp, his trouble was just starting at temperatures up to 95 degrees. This is a very interesting book. I encourage others to read this book to others if they like adventures. I really like this book because of the part in the book is when he steels the sunflower seeds from the counselor at Camp Green Lake. If you read this, you will have a good time reading it. I would recommend this book to everyone at Brooklyn Junior High. 4 stars.

Anonymous said...

Schwartz, Alvin. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. New York: Harper Trophy, 1981.

Reviewed by David.

You better beware of what your reading or you’ll get it. This is a book that you don’t have to read from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. It just has scary stories that you read in the book. You can just read the one that interest you or the one that you like. You can also read this book to scare your friend for a sleep over. There is part where they tell you to yell words out to scare your friends. One of the stories in the book is “The Big Toe”. It’s about this kid who was digging and found a big toe. He was bring it home and told his mom that they should make in a soup. You guys will have to read the book to figure out what happen at the end. I think people who like scary stories should read this book. It will be one of the best scary books you read. They have different kind have scary book, so look for the right one. If you do read this book, read it with a friend so you can scare him. I would rate this book a 5 out of 5.

Anonymous said...

Medearis, Angela Shelf. What Did I Do To Deserve A Sister Like You. New York: Scholastic Inc, 2003.

Review by Julie

Having a big sister can be a big trouble! What can she possibly do to you? Can she make your life miserable? What will happen if you have a big sister that can get you into troubles? This book is about two sisters named Sharie and her big sister Sandra. Sandra always does everything right and have good compliments and always perfect. But, Sharie is doing everything wrong. Every Thursday they both have piano lessons and they each both have a song to play for the recital. Sharie might think that now the world will know that Sharie is not as perfect as her bigger and better sister. Now there’s only one thing to do. Sharie has to get out of the recital what ever it takes. I think that at BJH the girls will like this book because it will help the girls that have an older sister that haves to deal with there situation and it will help there older sister to be more a better sister for them. For this book my rating is a 5/5 star.

Anonymous said...

Leinter, Isabella. TheBig Lie. New York, Scholastic Inc, 1992.
Reviewed by Angel

What if you were being tortured during a war? Would you fight back, or would you try to stop it? .What if you were a child would you do something to try to stop the war? That’s the kind of pain Isabella Leitner and her family was in during World War II. Isabella lived in Europe and the Nazis came to her country because she was Jewish. And they made these rules saying that if they put you on your knees’ and if you fell on the floor you would get shot .And they shoved like a million people in a little cattle car. And they took them across to this other country called Auschwitz .And it was a prison for Jews .and the prison was dirty all over it. It was black as night. And the Jewish people had to work like cleaning the kitchen floor. And if the Jewish got sick even babies they would kill you cause they say if you guys get sick my solders’ will have to kill you because we cant have sick people walking around here. And if you fell the other Jews would have to shoot you it was so hurtful with Isabella and her family. You may be thinking the story sounds good but it’s fake. But you are wrong it’s a true story. I think you should read this book because if not your missing out on a really good book. And I rate this book a 4 stars because this book was sad and a little bit funny to read, I think that most bj students would like to read this book. It tells about what happened about this poor family life. I want to tell everybody something. If you are Jewish, you should not take this the hard way because I really know how this is to you because I'm black and my people were treated the same thing as you.

Anonymous said...

Philbrick, Rodman. Freak The Mighty. New York: Scholastic Inc, 2000.

Reviewed by: David

“FREAK THE MIGHTY FREAK THE MIGHTY!” Imagine a boy the size of a 7 foot ogre, and a boy the size of a mini dwarf yelling that with each other with out fighting! Wooooo yes it is amazing! This book is about a boy named Kevin. With a nick name ,named freak (Or that’s what people call him) who is about 12 years old But has a deadly daises that makes it hard for him to grow, and his best friend Max (Maxwell), who grows like crazy when he is mad, he is 13 years old but is 7 times bigger then Freak. Max doesn’t have a brain or thinks he doesn’t, but when freak and Max are together, Max and Freak are Freak the mighty! Kevin made that name up. Freak has a wild imagination and all ways wanted to be a knight, and when Freak and Max go on mini adventures, and act like they are the nights of the round table! Though freak has an evil father, and his nick name is “Killer Kane.” His father went to jail for doing something bad .Everyone fears him. Max and Freak have the most amazing time in this summer, and are in the craziest situations. That is why I would rate this book 4 out of 5 because this book has many turns. I highly recommend this book to most Brooklyn Jr. students!

Anonymous said...

Twain, Mark. Huckleberry Finn. Chicago: Scholastic Inc,1996.


Reviewed By Isaiah,

Adventure is the way to go. It has ascents in it. Might be hard to read, but you will love it. Huckleberry Finn that’s the book I’m going to tell you about. This book is about Tom Sawyer who finds this treasure, and has to split the money with his crew. Don’t think I’m going to tell what happens in the end. You will have to the book. They go on this adventure that carries on through out the book. It has some bad language. I liked it, because it had adventure, and it was a mystery. I think other BJH students would like this book, because it has adventure in it. It has mystery too. Some might want to read it for the bad language. Some read it, because they just had to read a book. You might it’s boring at first, but it gets more exciting in the end. I would give this book a rating out a five a five star, because it was a great adventure to read.

Anonymous said...

McQuade, Pamela.The Everyday Guide to Success. Wheaton: Humble Creek, 1996.


Reviewed by: Jessica

Do not open this book! Because what your about to read will change your life completely. This book that I read is a book that gives advice for our lives in the future and helps us understand our mistakes from the past. The book The Every Day Guide to Success really does give you good advice. It did for me any way. In one paragraph it talks about how to get things you want and things you need. My favorite paragraph was when the author talked about to always look for the good, in the bad thing that happen to you. Really the book is about how to succeed in life and it gives you advice in what to do and how to get through problems. I would recommend this book to everybody to read. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone has some problems, so I think people would want to read this book. I would rate this book at a 5 stars level because I liked it that much and it helped me through my problems and my mistakes that I have made in my life.

Anonymous said...

Smith Jr., Charles R. Rimshots: Basketball Pix, Rolls, and Rhythms. New York: Scholastic Inc, 1999.

Reviewed By: Deontae


“Come on, Coach, put me in the game. We’re down by 20, and I know that I can make a difference.” This is how a young Charles R smith Jr. felt when his coach stopped putting him in because he didn’t pass the ball. This is an example of one of the poems the author wrote about basketball. These are some of the other poems he wrote: how he felt while he was playing, what he thought about the book Rimshots, and who inspired him. I think my classmates should read this book because if they are a little stingy with the ball, they could learn teamwork. I also like how he used color in his writing and how he manchand pro basketball players. I will rate this book a three out of five.

Anonymous said...

Haddix, Margret Paterson. Just Ella. New York: Aladdin Paperbacks, 1999.

Written by Shanaya

Have you ever wondered what happened after Cinderella married the prince? The book I’m going to tell you about is called Just Ella. This book is so interesting to me because I love Cinderella its one of my favorite movies. Ella goes to the ball and sweeps Prince Charming off his feet, and she is chosen to become his bride. Now she’s comfortably and getting use to being in the palace, waiting to get married to the man of her dreams. It’s happily ever after right? Wrong! In the middle of the story she decides that she doesn’t want to marry the prince, but when she tells him to his face she deals with some serious consequences. I give this book a rating of 5 stars because this book will keep you wondering on what’s going to happen next. I know that when you read a book it stars out boring and then, BAM!!!!! All of a sudden you want to read the whole thing in one day. That’s what going on in this book but better. If you want to find out what happens to Cinderella when she doesn’t want to marry the prince. Well let’s just say again that it’s not pretty anyway if you read this book you will be AMAZED.

Anonymous said...

Baker, E.D. Dragon’s Breath. New York: Bloomsbury, 2003.

Reviewed by Cilenta


Why open another book and not this one? Read some spells that might work. Learn that being a witch is not that easy. Discover a spell to break a curse. Read the adventures a princess makes. Read what happens if the princess sneezes. Princess Emeralda (or Emma) is trying to help her aunt Grassina to find a gossamer hair from mother of pearl, the breath of a green dragon, a feather from an aged horse, and the husk of a magic bean. The princess’ aunt needs these to turn her most precious love back to a human. Grassina thought that her love got turned into a frog and kissed every frog she can find. Actually, he got turned into an otter. When Haywood got turned back, its Grassina’s turned to get change. I like the adventures the princess made and how she solved it. I also like that, Emma never gave up. Other BJ students should read this book because the students that love adventures can find this book kind of interesting. This book kind of shows love between a person and another person. I think students that likes love story would be interested in this book too. Dragon’s Breath is the second part of the Frog Princess. Reading it with the author E.D. Baker and her creative writing imagination makes this book a great book. 4 stars

Anonymous said...

Danziger, Paula and Martin, Ann M. Snail Mail No More. New York: Scholastic Inc, 2000.
Reviewed by: Phoebe
Want to see people write letters to each other that has problems and they go through with it by themselves .The book I read was Snail Mail No More. The best part was when she said her dad died. First I thought they were lying but I started reading and it was for real. Then, I’ll tell you about the character’s Elizabeth and Tara Starr. Tara Starr moved and they E-mail each other now. It’s about what happens in their life. I’m going to tell you about Elizabeth’s life first. Elizabeth’s life is going bad but she gets through it with her friend Tara Starr. She lives in an apartment with her mom and sister. Her mom is getting really close to one of her friend’s dad which is single. Elizabeth tells every little thing in her life. So then, during the father’s funeral Tara comes to comfort her. Next, I’m going to tell you about Tara’s life. Her life is prefect until her parents said that she’s going to have a sister or brother. Then she did something so bad at a party. That Elizabeth might not for give her. I would rate this book a four out of five because I didn’t think it would end like it did. I still like the book. It’s one of my favorite books that I’ve read this year.

Anonymous said...

Draper, M.Sharon. Double Dutch. NewYork: ScholasticInc., 2002.

Reviewed by Kadishah

Do you like to double dutch? This story is about eighth graders that have similar problems that other junior high kids have. There are these girls named Delia, Yolanda, and Charlene. These girls love to Doubledutch, and they enter competitions and go against other teams from around the country. Also there are these two twins named Tabu ,and Titan. They start going to the school that the girls are going to. When they start going there everyone thinks they are bad. Delia also has a problem with reading and she hasn’t told her mother or her past teachers. She’s worried that she won’t pass the state test. I think that other Brooklyn junior kids should read this book because it’s about junior high kids dealing with similar problems teenagers have. Also if girls like to Double Dutch, they also could relate with the characters. I would give this book a five out of five rating.

Anonymous said...

Greuwell, Erin. The Freedom Writer Diary. New York: Double Day, 1999.

Reviewed by Edwina

Have you been in a gang before? How will it feel? Do you want to be in a gang? This book is about these kids that do what they want to do. Mrs. Greuwell is an English teacher. When she tries to teach her student doesn’t listen to her. All the kids talk about in her class is someone getting shot or dead. So one day she told them to get out a journal and write what’s going on in their life. She notices that all of her student had the same thing going on. People are in gang, some getting shot, other getting beat up to join a gang. Will Mrs. Greuwell change these kids or will they go and do their own thing.
I would like the kids at my school to read this book because this book is good. In your community some kids don’t fit in because people are treating them wrong. We don’t need friends that beat us up and hurt us and say they are your friends. We all need true friend not bad friends. That’s one of the reasons why I like this book. This book teaches me lots of lesson. Being in gang can kill your love ones and hurt you too. Some part I didn’t like in this story was when they were trying to hurt their teacher because she was in their bussing all the time. I will give this book five out of five because I will remember this book as I keep on growing.

Anonymous said...

Gruwell, Erin and The Freedom Writers .The Freedom Writers Diary. New York: Tolerance Education Foundation, 1999.
Reviewed by Ashley

“They might think they’re getting me by jumping me now, but soon enough, they’re all going down!” One of the characters in the book said this because she was talking about how her life was when she was in a gang and hung out with the wrong people. The Freedom Writers Diary is about a class of students that comes from WAY different group of people and they have NEVER been friends with people outside of their own race. People said that they would never make it in school and through life. One person believed in these kids her name is Erin Gruwell. Erin Gruwell and the kids (the freedom writers) had a very bumpy start but later in the book they were like a family. Erin helped this kids with their problems. The kids (freedom writers) change almost everything about themselves like who they hung out with and what they did on the streets some of them stop being in gangs. Erin and the freedom writers wrote in journals or dairies which got published on Oct. 12, 1996.Later on in the freedom writers lives they proved everyone wrong all of the freedom writers graduated from high school and then later graduated from college. I think other BJH students should read this book because it tell people to not live the life the Freedom writers did because they lived a life of gangs and crime. They also talk about how they were treated like dirt and they were beat up because of their race or color. If you like real life stories this book is for you that is why I give this book 5 stars.

Anonymous said...

Peterson Haddix, Margaret. Among the Hidden. New York: Aladdin Paperback, 1998.


Review by Greshonda


Have you ever knew someone who couldn’t come outside or couldn’t play? This book is about two hidden kids name Luke and Jen. They’re two kids in a big problem. Luke spots Jen outside one day and dares his self to go to the house. Did Luke go? Jen is planning a rally with other hidden kids on the computer she wants Luke to come along. Luke is afraid that some one might catch them on the computer and they will be in big trouble. Luke wishes that he never met Jen. After awhile Jen understands why Luke doesn’t want to go on the rally, so she comes to his house to wish him great luck. After that Luke haven’t heard of Jen in a few days so he plans a trip to her house. Will Luke go along to the rally with Jen? Find out on among the hidden. BJH students should read this book because it is a good book. I will rate this book 5 out of 5 because this is a great and interested it has lots of action and good understanding.

Anonymous said...

Paulsen, Gary. Hatchet. New York: Scholastic Inc, 1987.

Reviewed by Tanner

Bryan is on a plane to Canada, but the pilot had a heart attack. Will he get there or even survive? Hatchet is a book mainly about a kid named Bryan going to visit his dad in
Canada an on the way his pilot had a hart attack and he hast to survive in the dangerous forest. I think Hatchet is a great book because it has survival techniqs to survive in the most dangerous forest. This book was really great to read because it has action and is great to learn survival techniqs. But I don’t think everyone will like this book. So I would give this 4 STARS.

Anonymous said...

Whelan Gloria. Chu Ju’s House. New York: Happer Collins, 2004.
Reviewed by: Angel


Did you know in China the parents are allowed to only have two children? In this story ‘Chu Ju’s House’ a brave fourteen year-old girl name Chu Ju will run away. Her mother has another baby but, this baby is not a boy. Read on to find out more about what’s going to happen on this exciting journey. This book is about a girl name Chu Ju. She will run away because she doesn’t want her new born sister to go away to an orphanage. Will Chu Ju’s sister be sent away or will Chu Ju run away for nothing? I would give this book rating of 4 out of 5 because I really liked the book. The book has really let me know how and what has been going on in China and although it didn’t have a good ending to it I really thought it was good.

Anonymous said...

Sachar, Louis. Holes. New York: Yearling, 1998.

Reviewed by Juwan

Imagine you digging thousands of holes in the “HOT” summer as a punishment. Do you think digging holes is a punishment? Well I think it is. I think it is because if you are working in the hot sun all day. I notice that the warden was so mean to the boys and making them take cold showers. This book is about a boy who found some shoes and was framed about it. He wouldn’t be framed if he would not put them on and get caught by the police. Next they took him house with his Dad, Mom, and Grandpa. Then they took him to this place called Camp Green Lake. That is a horrible place for them to be digging and the warden said they have to build character by digging. After then they dig all day, in the hot sun they never had one single raindrop but they had to dig five feet deep and five feet wide deep. The boys are digging five feet holes because the warden is looking for something important. BJH students should read this book because it has a funny movie and now they made a good book. They should read it because it is interesting and kind of a mystery. I would rate this book four stars out of five stars.

Anonymous said...

Sacher, Louis. Holes. New York: Yearling, Inc, 1998.

Reviewed by Peter

Would you like to dig holes five feet deep and five feet wide all day? Well here is a young boy named Stanley Yelnats who did. This book is called Holes, by Louis Sacher. This book is about a young boy named Stanley Yelnats who got framed for a crime he didn’t do. One day he was walking along the side of the road and boom! A pair of sneakers fell from the sky and landed in his arms. It turns out the pair of sneakers were Clive Livingston’s pair of sneakers that he donated to and orphan house. Later on he is in court and has a choice to go to jail or go to Camp Green Lake. Of course he chose camp over jail. Over in Camp Green Lake he digs holes five feet wide and five feet deep all day. He meets his roommates named Zero, Armpit, and Zigzag. Later he follows Zero after he runs away. Will they come back to camp? That’s for me to know and for you to find out. I recommend this book to all BJH students because this book can teach you a lesson and that lesson is to be truthful because what goes around comes around. I rate this book 4 stars.

Anonymous said...

Brown, Jeremy. Crime Files. New York: Scholastic, 2006.

Reviewed by Deonte’

I noticed in the book I’m reading crime files that the investigators had to handle this crime when somebody had done a killing. They had to investor gate the shoe print and see what size the shoe was. When they found out who it was they got him then took him in but he swear he didn’t do but everybody know he did because he’s the only one with the shoes in a size thirteen in a half. When they found out where he lived and who it was. He had on the same shoes in the same size. They showed him the description of who did it he said it was his twin brother but he doesn’t have a twin brother. That was the best crime they solved because it seemed real like you would see on t.v. they never failed and they don’t plan on it. This book is mainly about solving crimes real hard crimes that takes weeks to do. It seems like it would be a good book but it’s not I don’t know why it’s not. Maybe I thought that solving crimes would be fun but in this book their crimes solving is stupid. The crimes in Crime Files is easy to solve because they know where the person who did the crime is at they just don’t know how to get there, which is really stupid to me. That’s why I don’t like this book and I would never read it again. I would give this book one star out of five because I don’t like the way they solve their crimes. To me they don’t solve it like they supposed to. They supposed to investor gate the problem. In this book they automatic know who did it. That’s why my rating is what it is.

Anonymous said...

Stine, R.L The Evil Moon. New York: Pocket Books 1995.


Reviewed by: Isatu


Beware my friends, for there is an evil girl on the loose. Born under an evil moon, can shape shift in to a black cat, mess with her and you might just be her next victim!
This book is about three teen age kids, and one evil girl who has the power to shape shift in to a black cat. I bet your wondering what is so bad about her, well you’ll find out when you read this book The Evil Moon. Bryan is obsessed with the Cataluna a white sports car. His girl friend Misty is getting jealous because all Bryan talks about in the white sports car that he really want but can’t afford. Bryan has a rich girlfriend, and a rich best friend whose name is Alan. The two main characters in this book are Catherine and Bryan. Catherine dose not know where she belongs every body in her colony are turning their back on her, because they say she brings bad luck to her family and the colony.
BJH students should read this book because of the great action, and romance. This is a must read book 5 stars!